Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Late Nights, Diapers, and Talks About Stewardship

In the final seconds of July, Sarah and I welcomed Bennet Alexander Locke into the world.  It was, by far, the happiest moment of our lives. Each and every day since then continues to be a celebration of life as we rejoice to God over our precious gift.  We are truly blessed, and we thank God for this new bundle of blessing. We are also grateful to you, our community of faith, for the continued love and support. Lastly, and we might be biased, but we think he is the cutest kid in the whole-wide world! It is safe to say we are smitten.

Let’s be honest for a moment, raising a newborn is truly a learning experience.   I doubt that anyone will be surprised when I say this, but newborns require a lot of attention, energy, and resources.  Resources! Oh my, the number of diapers, wipes, and sheer amount of laundry is impressive. To be clear, I knew this would be the case, but I never expected Bennet to treat it like a game.  Some days I am convinced that he accepts a self-challenge to surpass the previous day’s resource totals. I imagine he wakes up some mornings and thinks, “today is the day that I set a new record and empty out the supply!” 
Somewhere around the 10th day of his precious life, Bennet and I were hanging out in the middle of the night, which is one of his favorite things to do.  It was sometime in the early AM and mid diaper change. No details necessary, but Bennet and I were in the midst of a battle-- one of those challenge moments.  Finally I threw my hands up and I said, “Bennet, I think it’s time you and I had our first conversation about stewardship and what it means to be a good steward.”

Stewardship, really?!  What a silly thing to teach my 10-day old son.  My exhaustion-induced comment was a culmination and expression of my own frustration.  Obviously my newborn has no concept, understanding, or even imagination of stewardship, and yet it was my chief concern in that moment.   This (changing) table-side chat with Bennet developed into a deeper conversation about children and stewardship with Sarah the next morning. 

It is remarkable how having a child of my own changes, or at least enhances my concern for the future.  Suddenly there is a revelation-- a conviction, really-- that the decisions we make today greatly impact the future. And I’m not just talking about budgeting, debt, college funds, and allowances, but the way we use and misuse the resources God has given us in creation will affect our children’s lives.  Suddenly I have a deeper appreciation and concern for melting ice caps, drastic changes in weather patterns, rising temperatures, carbon emissions, deforestation, natural disaster, trash accumulation, recycling, and financial planning. This is stewardship. 
Becoming a father is not only a gift from God, but it is an exercise in faithful stewardship. It is a commitment to faith that we (the whole body of Christ) will care for this remarkably good creation.  Faith that the decisions and choices we make now, on behalf of our children and our grandchildren, our nieces and nephews, and our friends’ little ones, will preserve, sustain, and appreciate the gift God has given us.  Faith that our children will grow up in a world that daily teaches them about being a steward. 
Our commitment and call to stewardship is so much more than diaper changes, laundry cycles, or even money.  Our commitment and call to stewardship isn’t really even a choice. It is a gift of our creator and a foundational characteristic of our very being.  It is who we are. Stewardship is a life-long, daily way of living that appreciates, cares for, preserves, and boasts the very good creation that God has bestowed upon us.  Stewardship goes well beyond the here and now.
So, dear ones, as the children among us grow, laugh, challenge, and learn, it will always be a good time for a conversation about stewardship.  And I ask God to help and guide us, so that we may be good and faithful witnesses for our children and their just-beginning lives in Christ.


Originally published in the St. Mark's Messenger, September 2018.  Read the full Messenger here.

No comments:

Post a Comment